Gum Disease 101: Symptoms, Treatment, And Prevention
Welcome back the ongoing blog of 7 O’Clock Dental! Here in New Orleans, LA, we are dedicated to helping our patients achieve and maintain beautiful, healthy smiles. That means doing our best to combat sneaky, pervasive disease like periodontitis. Gum disease is very common among adults and can wreak major havoc in the mouth. We can help you get diagnosed, treated, and then help you prevent it from occurring again.
The damaged done by gum disease is almost entirely preventable. Please allow our talented dental team to assist you. If you think you may have gum disease, please do not wait to seek help.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection of the gums caused by a buildup of bacteria in the mouth. This bacteria hides in between the teeth and underneath the gums. Eventually, it builds up and creates inflammation and variety of other problems. While mild forms of gum disease are completely treatable, more serious instances may lead to tooth loss and jaw bone deterioration.
What Signs Should I Look Out For?
Gum disease is often symptomless during early stages … that’s what makes it so sneaky! However, there are a few signs to look out for. If you notice any of the following symptoms, please contact our team as soon as possible. We would be happy to examine your mouth for signs of the disease.
- red gums
- swollen gums
- tender gums
- bleeding gums
- chronic bad breath
- gums that are pulling away from the teeth
- loose or shifting teeth
How Can It Be Treated?
Gum disease is treated depending on the severity of the infection. For mild to moderate infections, we may be able to treat you using only a traditional cleaning method or a deep cleaning option. However, for moderate to severe cases, laser treatment may be required.
Our team uses a Bolas soft tissue laser to remove infected gum tissue. By removing the infected tissue and cleaning out any periodontal pockets, we are eliminating the disease from your mouth. This will allow you to heal and return to a healthy state. Our Bolas soft tissue laser is designed to safely and painlessly remove the tissue, creating no bleeding and no need for stitches. This laser option is highly preferable to surgical gum disease treatment, although more traditional surgical methods may be required in severe situations.
How Can I Prevent Gum Disease From Reoccurring?
Once your gum disease is treated, we can help you prevent it from reoccurring! Follow these four easy steps to maintain a healthy smile for life!
1) Brush your teeth at least twice per day. We recommend using a toothbrush with soft bristles and a small head to best reach all areas of your mouth. This is very important for removing normal bacteria and debris.
2) Floss your teeth at least once per day. Many people underestimate the importance of flossing. If you do not floss, bacteria will build up in between your teeth. NOT flossing is a sure-fire way to develop gum disease.
3) Eat a healthy diet. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables and avoid processed foods for a healthy smile AND body. Talk to our team about nutritional counseling if you think you need help in this area.
4) Maintain a regular cleaning and exam schedule. By visiting our office every six months, you are helping us keep tabs on your smile. This means that we will be able to catch and treat any problem while it is still small! Also, our hygienists can clean your teeth even better than you can at home, so regular visits are recommended.
Make An Appointment
Do you think you may have gum disease? Simply due for a check up? Either way, we would be happy to help. Please contact our office directly to schedule your visit. You can reach us by calling (504) 266-0664 or by sending us a message using our online contact form. Our team can help you find a suitable date and time for your visit.
Don’t let something as simple as gum disease get the better of you. Don’t let it ruin your beautiful, healthy smile! Get the help you need from 7 O’Clock Dental. We look forward to working with you.