We offer lots of ways to ease your dental anxiety, such as our massaging dental chairs. Despite that, you may remain nervous about your dental procedure. If you are, we can give you sedation options in New Orleans to further relax you. With dental sedation, you’ll remain largely unaware of what happens during your procedure. Knowing that should cancel out any stress you’re feeling.Image Title: Sedation Options Create a Comfortable Experience Read Transcript
I'm able to offer oral sedation or inhalational sedation. Most people would know it as laughing gas, and that really works for a good group of patients because it relaxes you. It allows you to still be conscious. If I need you to turn your head or move a certain way, you're still able to respond to me. Other options would include, once training is finished, is IV sedation, where a patient is in a more sedated state. I don't offer that now, but the training is in place to do that. And that would be the ultimate, where you can get a patient relaxed to the point to where they're still conscious. It's not general anesthesia, meaning the patient still has control of their airway. They're still breathing. We have them monitored, of course, while that's taking place. So as far as the sedation protocols that I offer now would be the oral sedations or inhalational sedation.
Even if you’re not nervous about your treatment, sedation dentistry can be helpful. You may want to receive sedation if:
- You’ve experienced past difficulty getting numb or just don’t like needles
- You will undergo a lengthy procedure or multiple procedures
- You have a sensitive gag reflex
- You have sensitive teeth
For a stress-free dental visit, call our New Orleans office at 504-266-0664. You’ll also appreciate our DentalVibe local anesthesia that makes numbing far more comfortable.
Oral Conscious Sedation Is Safe & Effective
With oral conscious sedation, we’ll give you a prescription pill that you’ll take prior to your appointment with us. This form of sedation dentistry offers many advantages:
- No Injections Are Necessary – If you’re nervous about shots, you don’t need to be.
- You’ll Arrive Relaxed – Because you take the sedative at home prior to your appointment, you’ll arrive already relaxed and remain that way throughout your procedure.
- It’s Noninvasive – You won’t have to wear a restrictive face mask or an IV in your arm. You simply take the sedative much as you would an aspirin or any pill.
- It’s Safe – The medication we use is FDA approved and has a long safety record. Few people experience any side effects from this common medication. Our caring staff will monitor you throughout your procedure.
- You’ll Remain Responsive – While you’ll be drowsy and largely unaware of sights, sounds, and sensations during your procedure, you will still be awake and able to respond to any directions from your dentist.
Since the effects of your oral sedation will linger for several hours, you’ll need to arrange a ride home following your procedure.